If you just start your home industry business or become an importing distributor of food or drug products, you need to register yours to the Agency of Drug and Food Control or is well-known as Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan (BPOM). The purpose of registering is to maintain the quality of the food and drugs circulated in Indonesia.
According to the data released, BPOM has issued the agreements on the circulation permits for 112,891 food and beverage products and 13,267 drugs in five years (BPOM statistical data). Before distributing your products, you need to know several things about regulations on the circulation permit from BPOM.
Circulation Permit from BPOM
It is such an obligation for food or drug to obtain the circulation permit from BPOM. This regulation has been written in Government Regulation No. 69 of 1999 concerning Food Label and Advertisement. The product should have a proper packaging label and in accordance with the approved standards.
Criteria of Home Industry or Imported Products to Obtain the Circulation Permit from BPOM
The products must meet certain criteria to obtain the circulation permits. Here are the criteria:
- The products should be hygienic
- The home industry is legally registered and has the certificate of Food Production of Home Industry or Sertifikat Produksi Pangan Industri Rumah Tangga (SP-PIRT).
- The import distributors must have the import certificate (SKI).
- The products do not contain forbidden food additives such as rhodamine, yellow methanol, borax, etc.
- The products do not use preservatives more than it is allowed.
- The products do not contain any dirty, rotten or dying animal composition materials.
- Do not expire.
Steps for Applying for the Circulation Permit for Home Industry
Your products have not obtained the circulation permit from BPOM yet? There are two ways of how to register your products. You can register directly to the BPOM office or register online by using e-Registration application on the BPOM website.
- Register directly to the BPOM office
Here are some steps.
- Prepare the copy of the certificate of food production of home industry or Sertifikat Produksi Pangan Industri Rumah Tangga (SK-PIRT).
- After filling out the registration form, submit the registration form as well as the sample of the products and the design of the label that has been being circulated to the in-charge officer at the BPOM office.
- Register online by using e-Registration application. Some following steps are:
- Register your company first. This is the requirement to be able to login to the e-Registration application. You just need to register once.
- Login to e-Registration application.
- Fill out the data of the products that you are going to register.
- Fill out the data of your composition product.
- Fill out the result of analysis data based on the food category.
- Upload the requested supporting documents.
- Wait for the Registration Approval Letter (SPP) is issued.
Steps for Applying for the Circulation Permit for Import Distributors
- Submit and upload the import certificate or SKI (Surat Keterangan Import) to the e-Registration of the Single-on mechanism.
- Prepare legal access at the Agency of Drug and Food Control in-house.
- Prepare authorization letter certified by the public notary.
- Register on the website or the subsite of the Agency of Drug and Food Control (BPOM).
- Submit and upload the data entry electronically and the supporting documents to the e-BPOM application.
- Wait for the verification of registration.
- Wait for the ID and password after the verification is done.
It will be easier for you to obtain the circulation permit from BPOM if you read the information.
Source: BPL Indonesia